Why Do We Need to Speak In Tongues!
The Gift of God to us is the Holy Ghost, the only thing that we had to do with it was to repent, and believe, or have faith. As we study the book of Acts, we see that the “true Church” spoke in tongues when they received the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:37-48 KJV
(37) That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
(38) How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
(39) And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
(40) Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
(41) Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
(42) And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
(43) To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
(44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
(45) And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(46) “For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God”. Then answered Peter,
(47) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
(48) “And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord”. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Act 19:1-7 KJV
(1) And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
(2) He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
(3) And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism.
(4) Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
(5) When they heard this, they were baptized “in the name of the Lord Jesus”.
(6) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; “and they spake with tongues, and prophesied”.
(7) And all the men were about twelve.
In the book of Mark also Jesus tells us that these signs shall follow them that believe.
Mar 16:14-20 KJV
(14) Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
(15) And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
(16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
(17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; “they shall speak with new tongues”;
(18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
(19) So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
(20) And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
So, what purpose does speaking in tongues serve? The answer is in scripture.
Rom 8:26-28 KJV
(26) Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (Speaking in tongues!)
(27) And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
(28) And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
To say it another way, God tells us that if we do not ask, we will not receive, and if we do not pray for the right things we will not receive.
Jas 4:1-10 KJV
(1) From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? (Or, where does wars and fighting among you come from? They come from lust in your members.)
(2) Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, “yet ye have not, because ye ask not”.
(3) “Ye ask, and receive not”, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
We do not know what to pray for in our own understanding, this is why we need to understand that part of the reason Jesus is in us, is to pray and make intercession for us to the Father, praying for spiritual things inside us that is wrong. Jesus is in us searching our heart and praying to the Father to stop the curse attached to our sin. We receive the Holy Ghost by having a pure heart and believing that Jesus died for our sin. We receive Jesus Christ, the Holy Ghost by “faith”. We speak in tongues by “faith”. When we accept Jesus as our Savior, we enter into His grace and stand in “hope” to receive Christ’s glory.
Rom 5:1-2 KJV
(1) Therefore being “justified by faith”, we have “peace” with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
(2) By whom also we have access by faith into this “grace” wherein we stand, and rejoice “in hope of the glory of God”. (Our “hope” is, Christ in us, the “Hope of Glory!”)
Christ came that His life might be an example for us to follow. We are not perfect whan we ask Him into our hearts, but we must take-off the old man of sin, and put-on the new man who is created in holiness and righteousness.
Eph 4:17-24 KJV
(17) This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
(18) Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
(19) Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
(20) But ye have not so learned Christ;
(21) If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
(22) That ye “put off” concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
(23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
(24) And that ye “put on” the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.