Why Does God Chasten And Scourge Us?
Heb 12:5-8 KJV
(5) And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
(6) For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
(7) If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
(8) But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
First of all, who is this scripture talking too?
It is not talking to an unsaved person, but to a person that has accepted Jesus Christ as their saviour.
Next, what is chastisment? What is scourging?
Strong’s 3809 Greek-from 3811 to discipline a child, (by punishment) to train, instruct,educate, learn, teach.
To scourgeth-Greek=Strong’s 3146 to flog (literally or figuratively.)
Next-Why does the Lord need to chasten and scourge us?
WE are “all” born sinners- We are all carnal!
Rom 3:23 KJV
(23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (We are sinners from birth because of the sin of Adam and Eve.)
Joh 3:18 KJV
(18) He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned “already”, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Rom 8:3-8 KJV
(3) For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
(4) That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, “who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit”.
(5) For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
(6) For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
(7) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: (Enmity-at war with God!) for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
(8) So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
What is the condemnation against us?
Joh 3:19-21 KJV
(19) And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, (The light is the life of Jesus Christ!) and men loved darkness rather than light, “because their deeds were evil”.
(20) For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
(21) But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
Rom 5:8-10 KJV
(8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, “while we were yet sinners”, Christ died for us.
(9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath “through him”.
(10) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, “we shall be saved by his life”.
What is His “life?”
Joh 14:14-31 KJV
(14) If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
(15) If ye love me, “keep my commandments”.
(16) And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
(17) Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
(18) I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
(19) Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
(20) “At that day ye shall know” that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
(21) He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, “he it is that loveth me”: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
(22) Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
(23) Jesus answered and said unto him, “If a man love me, he will keep my words”: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
(24) “He that loveth me not” keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.
(25) These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
(26) But the Comforter, “which is the Holy Ghost”, (Not Holy Spirit!) whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
(27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
(28) Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
(29) And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.
(30) Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
(31) But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.
2Jn 1:6 KJV
(6) “And this is love”, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
1Jn 5:2-3 KJV
How do we know we love the children of God?
2) “By this we know that we love the children of God”, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
How do we know God loves us?
3)”For this is the love of God”, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
How do we get from being carnal to being spiritual and walking in the “Spirit?” Through tribulations!
Rom 5:1-5 KJV
(1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
(2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
(3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
(4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
(5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Eph 4:17-24 KJV
(17) This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
(18) Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
(19) Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
(20) But ye have not so learned Christ;
(21) If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
(22) That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
(23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
(23) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Col 3:1-17 KJV
(1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
(2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
(3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
(4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
(5) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
(6) For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
(7) In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
(8) But now ye also “put off” all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
(9) Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
(10) And have “put on” the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
(11) Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
(12) “Put on” therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
(13) Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
(14) And above all these things “put on” charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
(15) “And let” the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
(16) “Let” the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
(17) And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.